The modularity and expansion capabilities of the IR1101
Integrated Services Router Rugged can help extend product lifetime. Its
compact, modular, ruggedized design is excellent for mission-critical cases. It
offers stronger industrial router security and simplified management with
SD-WAN architecture, edge compute, and IOS XE.
and investment protection
The IR1101 has highly modular and expandable hardware designed
to extend product lifetime. Internal and expansion modules give you the
flexibility to add or upgrade WAN and storage components as technologies and
your needs evolve.
dual WAN gigabit router
When provisioned with two cellular modules, the IR1101
enables concurrent connectivity to two cellular networks for WAN redundancy,
enhanced data throughputs, load balancing, and differentiated services. The
hardware is future-proofed to handle 5G.
and compact. Low power consumption.
With its small form-factor (less than 2RU) and low typical
power consumption of 10 W, the IR1101 is easy to install and integrate into
space- and power-constrained cabinet installations.
WAN on the IR1101
Now you can leverage IT expertise to a broad, distributed
network, operate at scale, and lower total cost of ownership. Cisco SD-WAN
architecture delivers scale, simplicity, and unified management for extending
enterprise networks to a distributed IoT deployment.
extensible platform with IOS-XE at the edge
Cisco IOS XE is highly programmable, with open and
standards-based APIs, and next-generation, multilayer security built in. This
unified software stack is ideal for process and workflow automation, enabling
you to qualify and deploy new services more quickly.
Self-healing utility grids to reduce outages
Remotely manage thousands of miles of unmanned power grids between distribution substations and the control center. Improve power flow, Volt-VAR optimization, and fault detection and isolation for reduced outage durations and cost.
Figures 1, 2, and 3 offer visual views of product components and expansion modules.
Cisco IR1101 Base Platform Front View
The IR1101 offers even more flexibility to add or upgrade WAN and storage components through an expansion module.
Expansion Module (available in the second half of Calendar 2019)
IR1101 with Expansion Module Offering More Flexibility
The Cisco IR1101 Integrated Services Router Rugged offers a broad range of features for the Internet of Things (IoT).
Table 1. Key Features and Benefits
Modularity and investment protection. A single form factor with multiple WAN (LTE, LTE-Advanced, SFP Ethernet) and storage options enable flexibility to add or upgrade modules as technologies evolve.
Dual active LTE-capable1 With two LTE modules (LTE and LTE-Advanced2 with carrier aggregation), the IR1101 enables concurrent connectivity to two cellular networks for WAN redundancy, enhanced data throughputs, load balancing, and differentiated services, making it a highly reliable and high-performance platform.
IOS XE is a highly secure, standards-based and flexible operating system for a new era of IoT deployment. It’s an enterprise-class OS with advanced routing and security.
Software Defined WAN (SDWAN1) capable. For high WAN availability and simplicity for large-scale distributed networks.
Industrial security. With ensuring authenticity of hardware and software, hardware-accelerated and Quantum Computer Resistant algorithms, firewall and VPN services, and alerts and notifications enabling physical and cyber security, the IR1101 offers a multi-layer security for mission-critical deployments.
Edge computing. Speed up awareness and response to events and conserve network bandwidth by analyzing the most time-sensitive data at the network edge, close to where it is generated. A highly secure, extensible environment for hosting applications ensures authenticity of applications. An optional mSATA SSD field-replaceable unit on the expansion module enables storage of application data for recording and analysis.
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA). Supports migration of data from legacy control systems in an industrial environment to an IP-based network using DNP3 serial–to–DNP3/IP and IEC 60870 T101–to–T104 protocol translations.
Smart grid-compliant. Designed for installation in harsh secondary substation environments. Complies with IEEE 1613 and IEC 61850-3 for distribution automation.
GPS. Location-based services for tracking assets and protecting from theft and intrusion.
Ease of management. On-premises and cloud-based network management solutions cater to businesses across multiple industry verticals. Tools such as Cisco IoT Field Network Director (FND), Cisco Kinetic™ Gateway Management1, Cisco DNA Center1, Cisco Plug and Play (PnP), and Cisco Prime® simplify deployment and offer the breadth of cross-network management and the depth of multi-layer visibility.
Multiple Packet Data Network (PDN). Gain connectivity to different Access Point Names (APNs) for traffic segregation over a cellular link. For example, public Internet traffic can be kept separate from mission-critical traffic emerging from the sensors and devices connected to the router.
4G LTE multiple-bearer QoS. Differentiated treatment of traffic with multiple simultaneous bearers as per 3GPP standards for an enhanced user experience.
Multi-bearer QoS depends on the cellular carrier’s ability to support the service in their network.
Network Segmentation. Multi-VRF, VLAN, and VPN enable businesses to configure and maintain more than one instance of a routing and forwarding table within the same customer edge device, enabling dynamic changes in the network with a minimal maintenance window. Service providers can enable this feature to support two or more VPNs with IP addresses that overlap across the VPNs.
Improve public safety and regulate traffic
The IR1101 provides redundant WAN connectivity for increased reliability. And with intelligence at the edge, you can accelerate decision making for mission-critical applications, such as public safety, regulating traffic flow, and detecting traffic violations.
Secure financial transactions
Extend your branch network to remotely manage ATM machines. Utilize SD-WAN architecture for simple, scalable deployment. Secure financial transactions with high-end multilayer security, and redundant, high-speed connectivity.
Cisco IOS XE Software Features on the IR1101
Cisco IOS Software requirements
● Cisco IOS XE Software: Universal Cisco IOS Software image
● Cisco IOS XE Software Release 16.10.1 or later
IPv4 and IPv6 services features
● Routing Information Protocol Versions 1 and 2 (RIPv1 and RIPv2)
● Generic routing encapsulation (GRE) and multipoint GRE (MGRE)
● Standard 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)
● Network Address Translation (NAT)
● Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, relay, and client
● Dynamic DNS (DDNS)
● DNS proxy
● DNS spoofing
● Access Control Lists (ACLs)
● IPv4 and IPv6 multicast
● IP Service-Level Agreement (IP SLA)
● Open Shortest Path First (OSPFv2 and OSPFv3)
● Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
● Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
● Virtual Route Forwarding (VRF) Lite
● Next-Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP)
● Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) VPN for secure remote access
● Hardware-accelerated encryption with minimal impact to system performance
● Next Generation Encryption (NGE) and Quantum Computing Resistant (QCR) algorithms such as AES-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512
● Public-Key-Infrastructure (PKI) support
● 20 IPsec tunnels
● Cisco Easy VPN Solution client and server
● NAT transparency
● Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN)
● Tunnel-less Group Encrypted Transport VPN
● Flex VPN
● IPsec stateful failover
● VRF-aware IPsec
● IPsec over IPv6
Cisco IOS Firewall
● Zone-based policy firewall
● VRF-aware stateful inspection routing firewall
● Stateful inspection transparent firewall
● Advanced application inspection and control
● Secure HTTP (HTTPS), FTP, and Telnet Authentication Proxy
● Dynamic and static port security
● Firewall stateful failover
● VRF-aware firewall
Integrated Threat Control
● Control-Plane Policing (CoPP)
● Flexible packet matching
● Network foundation protection
● Provides LTE QoS with support for up to 8 concurrent bearers on each cellular WAN interface for traffic classification and prioritization
● Provides traffic precedence to delay-sensitive and mission-critical services
● Facilitates low-latency routing of delay-sensitive industrial applications
● Supported on all LAN and WAN interfaces, including cellular
● Low Latency Queuing (LLQ)
● Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ)
● Class-Based WFQ (CBWFQ)
● Class-Based Traffic Shaping (CBTS)
● Class-Based Traffic Policing (CBTP)
● Policy-Based Routing (PBR)
● Class-Based QoS MIB
● Class of Service (CoS) to Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) mapping
● Class-Based Weighted Random Early Detection (CBWRED)
● Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP)
● Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) header compression (cRTP)
● Differentiated Services (DiffServ)
● QoS pre-classify and pre-fragmentation
● Hierarchical QoS (HQoS)
● Dual active LTE backhaul with expansion module
● Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) (RFC 2338)
● Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP)
● Dual SIM support on the LTE module for cellular failover
● IPv6 addressing architecture
● IPv6 unicast and multicast forwarding
● IPv6 ACLs
● IPv6 over cellular
● IPv6 routing
● IPv6 domain name resolution